Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Internet Service Providers

People usually get ADSL, aka "broadband", to get faster access to the internet. Not surprisingly, if the speed of the connection drops, you want someone to do something about it.

I notified Xtra that my line speed had dropped to 192kbps. It took 12 hours to get an automated response, which informed me:
"Your email has been forwarded to our Xtra Technical Support team. Due to the high volume of emails the Xtra Technical Support Team is currently receiving, we may not be able to respond to you for up to 5 days.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused, and appreciate your patience. If you wish to call the Xtra Technical Support Team directly, please call 0800 22 55 98, option 2, option 1, option 1."

Having spent enough time on the phone in customer service hell, I would not remotely consider calling them.

It is not five days since I received that email. Five working days.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered the fact that the very name ISP includes the words "service provider". In itself, that could be considered a breach of the Fair Trading Act.

There seems to be a widespread view by most large companies that losing a few customers isn't the end of the world because they have plenty of others. Tell that to Pizza Hut.

Still, I shouldn't complain. I know someone who was told by their technician to reset their router to factory settings then hung up on them. Not a great result.

No comments: