Monday, October 2, 2006

Store Open Now!!!

Picture a sunny Sunday morning. We needed some swim togs in a hurry. The Henderson Rebel Sport store was very close to the West Wave pool, so we popped over to get some at 9:30. It was shut. Steel roller door down. Big sign above the door saying "open now".

We figured maybe they opened at 10am, so we hung around. Other stores opened. We saw no action at Rebel. Five past ten we gave up.

After the swim session, I returned, it was open. The sign saying the opening hours was prominently displayed in the window, conveniently located in a place where it can be obscured when the store is shut. This is a classic touch. Tell the customer when you are open, but only when you are open (when they could clearly work it out for themselves, and ask a salesperson if they were that interested). It reminds me of my favourite quote from Tom Peters:
"God help you if you are open when the customer is around."

Later, I went to their web site to see if I could establish their opening hours. I couldn't.

POST SCRIPT
I checked the site again, if you check on the individual stores in the store locator you can now tell when they are open. Interestingly, the opening hours for Sunday are now from 9am.

No comments: